How to Help
Find out about some of our most recent volunteers and those that have helped by volunteering previously!
Your generosity and donations support veterans to receive high quality and comprehensive supportive services and needed supplies. Your donations will be allocated towards overall operations and specialized programs such as:
- Mobile outreach to the homeless in hard to reach places and provide food, resources and medical attention
- Meals for clients
- Case management and supportive services
- Sobriety and relapse prevention
- An outing for residents
- School supplies for kids
Donation of Goods
The City of Oakland and Operation Dignity operates a Mobile Outreach Program, providing the hardest to reach homeless with food, blankets, foul weather gear, and referrals to service agencies.
We also help our transitional clients and can make good use of your new or gently used and clean:
- Jackets and coats
- Warm clothes
- Linens (sheets and towels)
- Sleeping bags
- Nonperishable food items
- Small kitchen appliances
Please call the office at (510) 287-8465 to coordinate your drop-off or pickup of your gently used items.
Last year we served over 146,000 meals. Please consider donating non-perishable food items to help us continue feeding people, enabling them to make decisions on a full stomach rather than an empty one.
- Canned goods
- High protein items such as meal replacement drinks/snack bars
- Holiday meal items (Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving, 4th of July, etc)
- Grill items as well as volunteers to grill. BBQs foster community building and family activity.
We have many opportunities for volunteers to help out. Some of our volunteers:
- Organize canned food or blanket drives
- Collect “lost and found” items at schools
- Organize costume drives at Halloween, baskets at Easter, supplies for the first day of school.
- Get a Scout or other youth group involved in helping with supply / fund raising