In addition to offering shelter and transitional housing to veterans, we provide our own permanent housing to formerly homeless veterans and other families who have experienced homelessness. At our housing sites in Oakland and Alameda, we set aside units for HUD-VASH and Shelter + Care, so that people with the deepest needs can access long-term housing.
We also partner with affordable housing developers to offer services at their sites, ensuring that families have the resources they need to remain stably housed:
- In 2020, we partnered with the City of Oakland and housing developer Danco to purchase a 21-unit hotel and convert it to permanent housing. This Homekey project opened to veterans during summer 2021.
- We collaborate with Resources for Community Development to offer on-site services to 69 units of permanent housing in Alameda at two properties: Shinsei Gardens and Stargell Commons (which opened in May 2017).
- In 2019, we were thrilled to work with EBALDC to help 20 homeless veteran households move in to Casa Arabella in Oakland’s Fruitvale district. We are providing services to help these veterans stay housed and build community.
- In 2020 – in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic – we helped Eden Housing welcome 30 households (including 28 veterans) to the new Corsair Flats in Alameda. Our on-site case manager provides services and focuses on keeping veterans safe and healthy.
- Through partnerships with two more affordable housing developers, we will offer services to another 25+ formerly homeless veteran households in the coming years.
“You matter, and there are people who think you matter, too.”